Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Imagining Yesteryear's Newness


"Confetti?" scoffed Grandpa. "Why, when I was a boy, 
we celebrated The New Year properly, with the 
time-honored tradition of fireworks and spectacle!"

Susan Sanford over at Artspark Theatre has posted another delicious challenge, this one seasonally appropriate.   I worried a bit that my blog/art productivity lately has been driven by "real" work avoidance.  Now that I have the busywork off my desk (for now), I feared I might stop so creatively avoiding work.  So Thank-you, Susan, for keeping me suitably challenged and inspired.

Yes, I am somewhat cynical about the holiday season.  I also continue in a theme near and dear to me -- inserting impropriety into our nostalgia-driven sense of earlier, more innocent days.  "Grandpa's" rant about the good old days needed a brat with his pants down, I thought.  And the idea of otherwise snooty people in posh frocks waiting for a kid to light his flatulence appeals to that carnivalesque side of me.

No scans this time.  I'm trying to get more comfortable with the graphics pad, and at the same time preserve a hand-drawn, pen and ink quality.  Below is the Susan's challenge prompt with the provided beginning of a caption. 



"Confetti?" scoffed Grandpa. "Why, when I was a boy, 
we celebrated The New Year properly, 
with the time-honored tradition of...

3 comments:

  1. That had better be some impressive flatulence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you know, times (and entertainments) were simpler "back then." ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it and also your "pioneer spirits" above!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Please Comment