Monday, July 5, 2010

Traffic U/S/X


David Byrne says that freeway overpasses and complicated traffic exchanges are the cathedrals of the (post)modern age.  Architecture is architecture, I guess.  But I wonder if the not so open road with its clutter of trajectories isn't a little more like a poem than a building.


I dunno, maybe it's commercials that are more like poems, and a steady diet of car advertisements has led me to see traffic this way.  A sibilance of curves and smooth acceleration.  See how I hug the curves?  Driving is just so sexy.


Something in me says this is wrong.  There is a price to pay for making excessive transportation sexy, for making traffic a poem.  It's not just a minor inconvenience on the way to work.  Too much US ultimately SUX.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Comment